The Maroon, Newspaper

Loyola University

Each year, the Associated Collegiate Press recognizes excellence in student media with collegiate journalism’s preeminent award, the Pacemaker. Pacemakers are awarded in each category of publication — online, newspaper, yearbook and magazine.

Entries are judged by teams of professionals based on the following criteria: coverage and content, quality of writing and reporting, leadership, design, photography and graphics.

ACP contacted Lauren Saizan, Managing Editor of The Maroon, the student-run newspaper of Loyola University in New Orleans for a Q&A. The Maroon won a 2015 Pacemaker for four-year non-daily newspaper. Saizan was a staff writer during the 2015 publication year.

ACP: What were the goals going into last year and how did you ensure those goals were met?

Lauren Saizan: I wasn’t on the editorial board during that year, but as a writer I could sense that the goals were to have superior campus coverage and increase readership through a visually appealing paper. We met those goals by writing timely and breaking stories on all aspects of campus life, and working hard to use pictures and graphics to illustrate stories.

ACP: Tell us about a moment you will remember most about this staff.

LS: I will remember the leadership and confidence of our editors and our editors-in-chief, and how they pushed for the best and expected the best from their writers.

ACP: What does the Pacemaker mean to you?

LS: To me, the Pacemaker means that all of our hard work paid off and, more importantly, was recognized. You don’t get into the media business to win awards — it’s about telling the truth and informing the community about important issues.

ACP: What was the toughest moment you faced last year?

LS: The toughest moment was when my editor had to issue a retraction for our Election Guide issue. It was difficult seeing her take the fall for a writer’s mistake.

ACP: What was the most rewarding experience for you last year?

LS: The most rewarding moment was when our adviser said to me at our staff retreat: “you are the future.” Knowing that he believed in me inspired me to believe in myself and become news editor the following year.