ACP announces new Local Climate Change Reporting competition for 2019

Climate change is arguably the most important story of our generation. A new Associated College Press Individual Award category has been established to encourage localized climate change reporting by college media.

Entries in this contest should be in-depth reporting about climate change impacts and or solutions from a localized angle. In-depth reporting packages can appear in print or online or both.  Long-form stories should be accompanied by sidebars, graphics and data. Videos are also encouraged.

“ACP is excited to offer this new contest and partnership with the George Mason University Center for Climate Change Communication,” said Laura Widmer, ACP executive director. “Climate change is such a relevant topic with many stories to be reported on the local level.”

A similar competition is being offered for high school media by the National Scholastic Press Association.

Student journalists are encouraged to sign up for Climate Matters in the Newsroom, a free collection of reporting resources. 

GENERAL RULES

• This contest is open only to student media with a current membership in ACP as of the contest deadline of June 7, 2019. Online submission of awards begins on December 3, 2018.
  • Any student on the staff of an ACP member media outlet is eligible to enter.
  • Entries must have been published in print or online between August 1, 2018 and June 7, 2019.
  • Only one entry per category per media outlet is allowed.
  • A single PDF file should be submitted containing the story package exactly as it appeared in print. A link may be provided for online and broadcast reporting. All reporting must have been published in an ACP member media outlet.
  • The contest will be judged by a panel of three including two judges selected by ACP and a judge selected by the George Mason University Center for Climate Change Communication.
  • Finalists will be announced no later than October 1, 2019. Winners will be honored at the ACP/CMA National College Journalism Convention in Washington, D.C., Oct. 31-Nov. 3, 2019.