New Pacemakers in broadcast, business & innovation

July 28, 2020

Entry deadlines extended to Monday, Aug. 17.

May 28, 2020

Associated Collegiate Press has added three new Pacemaker competitions for 2020 — in broadcast, business and innovation — to reflect the changing landscape of collegiate media.

The ACP Pacemaker recognizes overall excellence and distinguishes the top student media produced during a particular school year. These awards are given annually and began in 1927. 

Pacemakers are awarded at the ACP/College Media Association National College Media Convention, and the four continuing categories are Magazine, Newspaper, Online and Yearbook.

RELATED

DOWNLOAD: ACP Business Pacemaker PDF to download and share.

June 15, 2020, deadline to enter newspaper and magazine Pacemakers and ACP Individual Awards
Rules & how to enter

Pacemaker Awards and Individual Awards, Nov. 3, 2019

Broadcast Pacemaker

NEW / OPEN NOW
EXTENDED DEADLINE: Aug. 17, 2020
TO ENTER: Visit the membership portal under the Contests tab.

For this contest, submit a direct URL link to an online site or a video-sharing site such as YouTube or Vimeo. The video-sharing site must be owned by your student media program rather than an individual. The following four full, student-produced news programs as they originally ran for their audience should be entered:

• Two broadcast news programs that aired between Aug. 1 and Dec. 20, 2019.
  • Two broadcast news programs that aired between Jan. 1 and June 30, 2020.

Business Pacemaker

in partnership with College Media Business and Advertising Managers
NEW / OPEN NOW
EXTENDED DEADLINE: Aug. 17, 2020

This new award recognizes outstanding student media business and operations teams that work hard to ensure student journalism is supported financially so that it may thrive.

Members of both ACP and CMBAM are encouraged to apply.

The Application

A case study for the organization

This Pacemaker application is a little different from what student media groups are accustomed to when submitting their publications and productions. 

The Student Media Business Pacemaker will be presented as a case study for the applying organization. The application packet is to be compiled and produced by students, with professional staff serving as advisers. Each media group must provide examples of work, plus additional documentation and descriptions of key organizational and operational information.

SECTION 1
Long-form materials to document five factors for success.

Strategic focus: Leadership, management planning and innovation

1. Describe in detail how your organization followed its mission statement in developing your strategic plans for the year.

2. Describe in detail how your organization users leadership training to prepare top student leaders for their positions and department management. 

3. List your group’s goals/objectives for the year and how you pursued them.

4. Describe specific growth and innovation strategies your organization adopted for the year and explain the steps taken to measure growth and strategy success.

People: Personnel, staff, learning, development

1. Provide a breakdown of your business staff, including both professionals and students, indicating their job titles.

2. Provide examples of your staff training program and development initiatives.

3. Discuss the equity and inclusion efforts you used to build diversity in your organization.

Sales and marketing: Innovations, products, customer relations, sales, responsiveness

1. Describe in detail your overall sales strategy for the year.

2. Describe in detail your overall marketing strategy for your organization for the year.

Finances: Budget, goals, results

1. Explain your financial results for the year as they relate to your overall budget.

2. What challenges or successes did your staff face? How did you work around them or use them to your advantage? 

Your Story: What sets your program apart?

What does your program do that is outstanding/fantastic/amazing in some way related to the business, operations and marketing of your media?

SECTION 2
A collection of products and work examples that your media group created in the last year within these five categories of success.

Strategic focus: Leadership, management planning, innovation

1. Mission statement

2. Optional: leadership training schedule/topics

1. Organization chart for the business side of your student media group.

2. Optional: general training schedule/topics.

1. Rate card and/or website link that showcases all revenue-generating items and product mix.

2. Five examples of digital products and promotions.

3. Five examples of print/outdoor products and promotion.

Finances: Budget, goals, results

1. Submit your annual budget documentation for the last fiscal year, including revenue projections and operational expenses.

2. Include documentation of any additional areas of support, including student/university fees, university-provided professional salaries, use of university facilities, fundraising, alumni donations, etc.

3. Submit an overview of monthly sales performance and expense tracking reports to compare with the submitted annual budget. (If you haven’t completed the fiscal year, projections for the remaining months are acceptable.)

Your story: What sets your program apart?

Submit any documentation to define your outstanding/fantastic/amazing claims.

Submission format

Submitting your application packet

Your application packet should be presented as outlined above. Careful editing and visual packaging are important. The application packet contains these components:

Title Page/Cover: Include media group name and college/university along with the names of the students submitting the application. 

Section 1: Long-form materials documenting the five factors for success.

Section 2: A collection of products and work examples of your media.

HOW TO ENTER: Visit the membership portal under the Contests tab.

Your application packet should be uploaded as a single PDF file. Links to online content, including videos and social media, are encouraged. 

Innovation Pacemaker

NEW / OPEN NOW
EXTENDED DEADLINE: Aug. 17, 2020
DOWNLOAD a PDF of this information on the Innovation Pacemaker.

The Innovation Pacemaker is designed to encourage out-of-the-box thinking and reward student media for the courage to take chances to improve service to their customers, readers and communities.

Innovations might fall in the following areas, but certainly aren’t limited to these ideas:

Leadership: Training, recruiting, mentoring, reorganizations, diversity, motivation, establishing and managing remote newsrooms, editorial/business cooperation, establishing/restructuring a media board.

Coverage: COVID-19, special events, tragedies, anniversaries, championships, celebrations, campus elections.

Marketing: Promoting student media, increasing engagement.

Business: Revenue generation, budget management, establishing a student fee. 

Community: Service/cause journalism.

Product: New, redefined or redesigned digital or print offerings, digital newsletters, social media, fact-checking.

Press Freedom: New Voices efforts at securing state student-press legislation, fighting censorship, using open records/open meetings, freedom of information, cyberbullying prevention.

Partnerships: With professional media, campus departments or student organizations.

The Application

This Pacemaker application is a little different than what student media groups are accustomed to when submitting their publications and productions. 

The application is to be compiled and produced by students, with professional staff serving as advisers.

Tell us your story. Explain your innovation. Address any challenges and how those challenges were met. How did you measure your success? What did you learn?

Create a PDF packet, a website, a video, a podcast — whatever works best to deliver your story and supporting information. Provide examples and documentation as appropriate. Careful editing and visual packaging are important.