2021 Business Pacemaker finalist

ACP Pacemaker recognizes
business excellence

One collegiate newspaper operation will be recognized with the Student Media Business Pacemaker

Sept. 24, 2021

MINNEAPOLIS — The Associated College Press will award one of the nation’s top collegiate newspapers with its Student Media Business Pacemaker.

A single Pacemaker winner will be announced virtually at 6 p.m. ET Thursday, Oct. 14, during the Fall National College Media Convention.  

“This year the judges selected a single Pacemaker winner based on the number of entries received,” ACP associate director Gary Lundgen said. “The tremendous operational and financial challenges facing college media operations during the pandemic greatly impacted the number of submissions this year.”

The Student Media Business Pacemaker was established in 2020 to recognize outstanding student media business and operations teams that work hard to ensure student journalism is supported financially so that it may thrive. 

Applicants submitted documentation and descriptions of key organizational and operational information. The application packet addressed strategic focus, people, sales and marketing, finances and your story.

“The winning application packet was exceptional and tells the operational and financial story of one of the nation’s top collegiate newspapers,” Lundgren said.

The prestigious Pacemaker recognizes overall excellence and distinguishes the top student media produced during a particular school year. The award started shortly after the association was founded in 1921 and is often regarded as the most-competitive, most-honored award in collegiate journalism.