NSPA/ACP Symposium on Youth Media and Digital Citizenship

aejmcbanner

When journalism professors from across the country gather for their annual conference in our hometown of Minneapolis this summer, NSPA/ACP will welcome them with a special pre-conference event designed to stimulate their conversations about journalism education research.

The Symposium on Youth Media and Digital Citizenship will take place on Wednesday afternoon, August 3 in Murphy Hall, on the University of Minnesota campus. The School of Journalism and Mass Communication is co-sponsoring this event with NSPA/ACP.

The Symposium will gather journalism researchers and researchers from the field of education with expertise in student voice, digital literacy, and civic engagement, who will discuss the approaches they take in studying youth media and citizenship, and the insights they have collected from their projects.

Communication technologies evolve at a rapid pace, and the Symposium offers an opportunity for those interested in youth and media to revisit questions that journalism researchers have been asking for decades. These questions include:

• How do young people use new communication technologies to learn about issues that matter to them?
  • How do they adapt these media to inform others about important issues?
  • What do young people gain from these experiences?
  • How do we assess the implications of this engagement?

Registration is free and open to AEJMC attendees and journalism teachers. The event will begin with lunch at noon. For more information, see the registration website or contact Executive Director Diana Mitsu Klos.

Posted March 31, 2016.